Impact Attenuators are a great form of control on freeways or traffic control areas.
Impact attenuators, also known as a crash cushion, crash attenuator, or cowboy cushion, is a device intended to reduce the damage to structures, vehicles, and motorists resulting from a motor vehicle collision. Impact attenuators are usually placed in front of fixed structures near highways, such as gore points, crash barrier introductions, or overpass supports. An approved sand-filled impact attenuator may be installed on the exposed end of the barrier where the posted speed prior to construction on an existing facility or the anticipated posted speed of a temporary facility is greater than 35 mph. We carry the toughest attenuators for your traffic safety needs. Just add sand.
200, 400, 700 lbs.
200, 400, 700, 1,400 & 2,100 lbs.
Big Sandy® 48000 Series
The “Big Sandy” is an Impact Attenuator Sand Barrel that is easy to move and provides external verification of the barrels correct weight.
The Big Sandy Attenuator/Crash Cushion Sand Barrel has been tested and certified to meet the crash worthy requirements of NCHRP 350; Big Sandy Sand Barrels go above and beyond these requirement to provide the best in highway safety.
- Three barrels are used to create all of the weights used in current standard array geometrics (200, 400, 700, 1,400, and 2,100 lbs; 90, 180, 320, 640, nd 960 kg)
- Combination barrel utilizes a pedestal base and 200, 400, 700 lbs. (90, 180, 320 kg) top half barrel to obtain weights without using shelves or cone inserts – eliminates leaking sand
- Simply fill the sand to the molded-in fill line to obtain the correct weight. The molded-in fill line makes external verification of weights easy
- Reinforced lip prevents the barrels from deforming when filled and provides a quick and secure fit for reinforced lids
- All three Big Sandy size are easily lifted, moved, and emptied with the optional TrafFix Lifting Ring
- NCHRP 350 tested and accepted
- Big Sandy barrels stack tightly, allowing you to put more on a truck than other competing products
- Big Sandy’s wide stance allows for more stable barrel without becoming top heavy or tipping
Big Sandy Sand Barrels
The Big Sandy is an Impact Attenuator Sand Barrel that is easy to move and provides external verification of the barrels correct weight. The Big Sandy has been tested and certified to meet the crash worthy requirements of NCHRP 350; Big Sandy go above and beyond these requirement to provide the best in highway safety.
- Engineered to safely lift filled “Big Sandy” Sand Barrels
- Adjusts to lift 200, 400, 700 combination barrel, 1,400 and 2,100 barrel
- Easily lifts with a forklift, truck mounted crane or a knuckle boom
- Lightweight (62 pounds) aluminum construction
- Designed for “Big Sandy” Barrels only
CrashGard Crash Barrels, Sand Barrel System with Lid
Crash Cushions are used to protect motorists from blunt objects. Multiple filling options available utilizing an optional insert for all weight requirements. Eliminates the need to stock multiple barrel sizes. Durable construction for long product life. Non-redirective, gating crash cushion or impact attenuator. Durable, easily transported, and cost effective.
- Designed to be a non-redirective, gating crash cushion or sand barrel
- Durable blow-molded high density plastic is UV protected to maximize product life and has no edges to seal
- Barrel is robust enough to withstand minor impacts during routine handling and transport
- All weight requirements are accommodated by a single universal barrel size utilizing an insert to meet some weights – Medium 1,400 lbs. and Large 2,100 lbs.
- One size barrel is designed for nesting and easy transport further reducing inventory cost
- Lid lock firmly in place reducing moisture accumulation and tampering
- Barrel dimensions: 36”Dx48”H
- Lid dimensions: 36.5”Dx6.6”H
The Big Sandy Lifting Ring is engineered to safely lift filled TrafFix “Big Sandy” Sand Barrels ONLY. The Lifting Ring is constructed of lightweight aluminum, and weighs 62 lbs. and quickly attaches to a Forklift, Truck Mounted Crane, or Knuckle Boom to easily move filled Big Sandy Barrels into place. The Lifting Ring is fully adjustable and is built to lift the Big Sandy 200, 400, and 700 lbs. Combination Barrels and the 1,400 and 2,100 lb. Barrels. The Big Sandy Lifting Ring is a must have when working with filled Big Sandy Barrels.
This CrashGard Hoist is safe, easy and an efficient transport of CrashGard Sand Barrels. With CrashGard Hoist, loading or unloading a truck is at most a two-person operation, and often a one-person operation.
CrashGard Hoist operates with a scissor-like action. It clamps and unclamps as necessary, and uses the CrashGard barrel itself to do so.
- Operates with a simple scissor action
- Clamps/unclamps easily to the sand barrel when hoisting or removing
- Moving barrels can be a one person operation
- Made of welded steel
- Weighs 140 lbs.
- Practically maintenance free
- Powder coated paint helps deter corrosion
- Designed to safely hoist CrashGard and other sand barrels
- No adjustments required when used with other barrels
- Pivots are protected by wedge-shaped guards for worker safety